Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday 7

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the ladies at The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is the Top Ten Books I'd Quickly Save if My House was being Ravaged by Some Natural Disaster. (gah, lots of caps).  Due to the fact that I have three wild and crazy pets, we'll go with my house burning down (as I imagine the puppy chasing my verrrry fluffy kitties onto a lit stove, and their tails catching nearby curtains on fire).  Naturally, I'd save my hubby and pets first, but then definitely these ten books, not only because they're my favorite titles, but because I'm particularly attached to the copies I have. (Note:  not all of these are teen reads, so readers beware!)


Top Ten Books I'd Save if my House was Burning to the Ground


1.  The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien:

This book has been through a lot with me - the ravages of high school, college, and young single life.  And yet, I will always come back to it as one of my all-time favorites.

2.  Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell:

Again, I've had this book forever!  I try and re-read it every year or two, so losing it would be completely devastating.

3.  The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley:

This book will forever remind me of my best friend and our rather eclectic English teacher in high school. Full of girl power and fantasy, set in Camelot - how can you go wrong?

4.  Trading Up by Candace Bushnell:

Guilty pleasure, what can I say?  I'll need something light to read while I wait for the smoke damage to be cleaned up from my house.

5.  The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling:

So, I guess I'll need a bigger bag to put all of these books in...

6.  Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan:

Yep, all five.  Though if pressed for time, I'd just take the fourth installment, The Battle of the Labyrinth.


7.  Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden:

Finally, my little sister returned this one to me, and I've been missing it.  Again, one of the books I could re-read endlessly, and never get sick of it.

8.  The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas:

Heavy to carry down a fire ladder, sure.  But absolutely heart-stopping and wonderful.

9.  Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham:

Most of my high school class HATED this book, but I oddly became obsessed with it.  If you are into classics, this might be a good one to try.  Plus, this one has all of my silly high school annotations, which are worth giggling over.

10.  The Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer:

Love to mock them though I do, I actually love to read them too.  They still make me cry, and are the perfect light read.  Plus, I've got plenty of others on the list that will make me look smart.  :)



Oh bah, I'm saving one more.  It's my house.

11.  The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory:

I'll save this one as soon as I get it back from my mother.  Truthfully, the whole series is addicting.





Any good ones I missed?

5 comments:

  1. Still need to read Percy Jackson! I'm pretty sure it's exactly my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love HP, then you'll love PJ. It's too cute! The Heroes of Olympus series is also addicting (also by Rick Riordan).

      Delete
  2. I thought Hollis Woods was a pretty good book. Maybe that should be on here...
    - Neigh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hollis Woods was a pretty good book. That's deserving of a top 10...

    -NEIGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fine, I know you bought yourself a new copy and annotated that one too...

      Delete