Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday 14

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is our top ten all time favorite characters.  I have read so many books, but for me, there will always be characters that hold a special place in my heart.  What a fun topic!

My Top Ten All Time Favorite Characters




1.  Percy Jackson from Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan:  He's smart, cute, funny, and totally ADHD.  Just the kind of person I like to surround myself with!

2.  Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell:  The girl is a hot mess, and completely cruel and self-serving, but every time, I find myself on her side.

3.  Lisbeth Salander from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson:  While probably more than a little mentally unbalanced, she also completely kicks butt, and shows a surprising sensitive side.

4.  Professor McGonagall from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling:  She's tough, stern, and always backs her students up.  Though ruling by fear has never quite been my teaching style, she is a teacher I can admire!

5.  Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien:  He is the sort of friend I can aspire to be; even in the face of absolute danger, he stands by Frodo and helps him.

6.  Haymitch Abernathy from The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins:  While perhaps not the best role model for the entirety of the series, but I felt he was one of the most complex of the side characters.  I felt extreme sympathy for him, as I cannot imagine experiencing the job he has had for decades.

7.  Sydney Carton from A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens:  In an effort to avoid too many spoilers, I will just say he makes an incredible sacrifice for love - and I love him for it.

8.  Aibileen Clark from The Help by Kathryn Stockett:  This woman has character, bravery, and a wicked sense of humor.

9.  Valerie Leftman from Hate List by Jennifer Brown:  Again, she is an admirable character who finds herself in a situation that is anything but.  However, I felt her pain so completely that she will always have a place in my heart.

10.  Akiva  from Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor:  Oh, he just broke my heart with his loyalty and depth of love.  It doesn't hurt that I also imagined him as someone incredibly cute.


Honestly, I could keep going - I've read so many fantastic books with characters I was sad to leave!  Anyone you wish made the list?



1 comment:

  1. If I were to pick a favorite from the Hunger Games, it would be Haymitch, too!

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete