Saturday, April 28, 2012

Review: Trapped by Michael Northrop

Image and summary from Goodreads.com:


The day the blizzard started, no one knew that it was going to keep snowing for a week. That for those in its path, it would become not just a matter of keeping warm, but of staying alive. . . .

Scotty and his friends Pete and Jason are among the last seven kids at their high school waiting to get picked up that day, and they soon realize that no one is coming for them. Still, it doesn't seem so bad to spend the night at school, especially when distractingly hot Krista and Julie are sleeping just down the hall. But then the power goes out, then the heat. The pipes freeze, and the roof shudders. As the days add up, the snow piles higher, and the empty halls grow colder and darker, the mounting pressure forces a devastating decision. . . 



This is a book I bought ages ago, but it sat and gathered dust on my shelves, constantly be passed over for others (namely, my obsession with dystopian books...).  When this book landed on the Virginia Reader's Choice list, I realized it was a golden opportunity to read and enjoy a novel I've been meaning to for far too long.  While the majority of the story was exciting, I will say, the ending ruined it for me.


The characters in this book are not really the focus, with the exception of the narrator and protagonist Scotty.  Scotty didn't strike me as anything outlandish or amazing - rather, he just seems to be the typical high school boy.  He even describes himself as the sort of person who doesn't stand out in the high school crowd, but instead blends in as he walks the hallways.  His humorous voice did make his narration seem a bit more unique.  Personally, I appreciated the choice Northrop made to make a more "normal" character be in such an abnormal survival situation.  It made the story seem more accessible.  It is unlikely enough that teenagers would be snowed into their high school for seven days, but if it was a group of quirky kids, I would have been even more skeptical.


The plot of this novel is short and fast moving.  Again, I appreciated this choice, as in-depth narration about sitting around a high school doing nothing but shivering would have been a bit tedious.  Instead, we see the students problem-solve:  will we get in trouble if we break into the cafeteria?  If we start a fire to keep warm?  Will help ever come?  These questions that arise in the characters' mind seemed realistic, and the students' solutions and supplies seemed feasible for a typical high school (I don't know why I found this so satisfying... probably because I hate survival stories where it seems like people survive due to unrealistic or overly convenient circumstances).  Though there is a slight amount of romantic tension, Scotty informs us from the start this isn't "that type" of book, so don't get too caught up.  However, the ending of this book was a complete let-down.  Not because it was overly happy or overly sad, but just because it was... over.  Much too quickly.  I would love to ask Northrop why he chose such an abrupt ending in a stand alone, as it leaves far too many questions unanswered.


This book is the sort of novel I love as a teacher - short, quick, and engaging, without any content concerns.  I have had several of my more reluctant readers, especially my boys, read it and enjoy it (though they said to make sure I posted about the ending and how they didn't like it... so there you go guys!).  For someone who is looking for a fast and exciting book, I highly recommend.


So while the ending of the book wasn't all I had hoped for, I still plan on passing this one along.  I see Northrop has written a few other YA novels, so I would like to give them a try and see how they stack up!

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same about the ending, I would have loved to know what happened to their families as well...like an epilogue or soemthing! xx

    ReplyDelete