Sunday, May 20, 2012

Review: A Million Suns by Beth Revis

Image and summary from Goodreads.com

Godspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos. It’s been three months. In that time, Amy has learned to hide who she is. Elder is trying to be the leader he’s always wanted to be. But as the ship gets more and more out of control, only one thing is certain: They have to get off the ship.


Warning:  This review is somewhat spoiler-iffic, given that it reviews a sequel to a book with a lot of mystery involved.  If you do not want to ruin some aspects of the first novel, stop now!


I was relieved when I was able to check out this novel immediately after completing the first in the trilogy, Across the Universe.  While the first book didn't end on a complete cliffhanger, it definitely left enough unanswered questions and unresolved issues between Amy and Elder to make me want to follow and see what happens.  Generally I feel the second novel in a series, especially in a trilogy, is usually the weakest; A Million Suns surpassed my expectations.  I even liked it better than the first!


Without a doubt, my favorite part of this book is the reader gets to know a lot more about Amy and Elder - and their relationship together.  Amy in particular resonated with me.  I liked how Revis does not fall prey to the "insta-love" trap so many YA authors do, but rather has Amy experience some real doubts about her feelings for Elder.  After all, being on a ship with only one real love prospect would bring up some serious questions about choice and true feelings versus lack of other options - especially given what she finds out about Elder in the first novel.  Elder is also affected by the theme of choice, but whereas Amy is dealing with a lack of it, Elder must deal with the ramifications of an entire population facing it for the first time.  He shows remarkable maturity for a teenage character, but not so much that he seems flat or unlikeable.  As in the first novel, Elder still acknowledges temptation - and even falls prey to it a few times.  I found these moments of weakness only strengthened his overall character, though, rather than diminished it.


Unlike the first book, which told one essential plot from two different perspectives, this novel follows two different stories - one experienced by Amy, and one by Elder.  Amy's story largely deals with a good old-fashioned "whodunit" sort of mystery.  In this case, she is following clues left by Orion to solve some important mystery about the fate of the ship.  For the most part, I found this the more exciting of the two story lines.  My only *tiny* beef would be that at times, it felt like Amy figured out the clues a little too quickly.  Then again, I probably also would have had beef if Revis had depicted her excessively stumped on the clues, so I guess it goes to show I can't have everything.  Elder's storyline is a bit more predictable, in that once his shipmates are shown they could potentially rule themselves, the ship descends into chaos and possible mutiny.  I liked reading about Elder's reaction to some of the crises that arise, but overall, I felt the storyline lacked the creativity of some of the others Revis has devised.  However, the ending of the novel was SPECTACULAR.  Where the first novel left off on a somewhat satisfying note (at least to me), this second one DID NOT.  Oh man, what an ending.  How I am to wait until January for the third book, Shades of Earth, I will never know.


Of the two books, A Million Suns is far more clean.  This is largely due to the absence of the whole awkward "mating season" of the first.  However, the weird "future-cuss" Elder employs is still present, and there are some depictions of sexual violence towards women (though never graphically described).


Overall, I would recommend anyone who read the first novel should continue with the series and pick up the second.  I would also put this in the hands of any fan of a more true science fiction novel.  It is a series worth reading and one I can't wait to see continue. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! This series is so fun and intriguing! I also like how the romance isn't insta-love. I really cannot even imagine where the third book is going to go after that ending!! Gah, I'm dying to find out. It's way too far away!

    ReplyDelete