Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday 16

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  Each week, we are given a topic on which to make a top ten list.  This week is a freebie week - my favorite sort of week!  I've been trying to come up with a list, and have decided to list ten of the books that have been out for a while, but I still haven't read.  I feel like so often new books get the fanfare, and I continually put older books back on the shelf.  So, presenting:


The Top Ten "Old" Books I SWEAR I Will Read... Eventually...


1.  Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (2004):


This book, the first in a series, was written in 2004.  While it didn't receive the publicity her Hunger Games trilogy did, I have heard it is as good.  One of these days, I will get to it!


2.  The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (2008):


It won the Newbery Award in 2009, and I SWORE then I was going to read it... I even bought it... and it still sits on my shelf. Sigh.


3.  Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (2009):


I have loved every Anderson book I've read, and when I heard my librarian book talk this one, I knew I had to try it.  How I missed its release in 2009, I will never know!


4.  Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (2009):


I've been so interested in this series, but for whatever reason, just haven't picked it up yet.  Maybe this summer?


5.  The Maximum Ride series by James Patterson (2005):


My students have been raving about this series for years - I even have most of it in my class library!  And yet, for whatever reason, I haven't gotten around to reading it.  Given that the first book was published in 2005, I guess I should get on it!


6.  The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman (1999):


I absolutely tore through the first two books in this series, The Golden Compass and The Subtle Knife.  Then, grad school started, and I got insanely busy, and I never finished.  I feel like the whole series deserves a re-read this summer!


7.  Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle (2009):


I got this book free for a cover review focus group I was in, and thought it looked super cute and fun!  And yet, other books always seem to come before it.  


8.  White Cat by Holly Black (2010):


Another series that has always looked intriguing, but I haven't gotten to yet.  


9.  Gym Candy by Carl Deuker (2007):


This book has captivated many of my reluctant male readers.  Though I'm not typically a fan of sports books, the moral debate presented in this one intrigues me.


10.  Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (2009):


For whatever reason, I've always been fascinated by the premise of this novel - a fantasy twist to WWI just seems so exciting!  Knowing the book  is also in a series (which I always seem to prefer), it seems right up my alley.




There are SO MANY more books I wish I had time to read - and hope to make time for at some point!  But, in the spirit of Top Ten Tuesday, I'll stop here.  Any others that are glaringly missing?

3 comments:

  1. Yes! Gregor is a lot of fun.

    I still need to read Leviathan as well.

    Alison at The Cheap Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Maximum Ride, even though it's completely out of the box for me. I picked it up for my daughter.
    Angela @ AJ Arndt Books Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen to Leviathan on audio book. It's read by Alan Cumming.

    ReplyDelete