Thursday, March 29, 2012

Review: The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

Image and summary from Goodreads.com:


Colby's post-high school plans have long been that he and his best friend Bev would tour with her band, then spend a year in Europe. When Bev announces that she will start college just after the tour, Colby struggles to understand why she changed her mind and what losing her means for his future.


I have been looking forward to the release of this novel since I read LaCour's debut Hold Still over the summer.  Her ability to create believable characters and beautiful writing made me an instant fan.  And as much as I loved her first novel, I'll be honest, I loved the second one even more.


Even though Colby is the narrator in this book, rather than the love interest, he might be my new favorite YA man.  He is creative, loyal, and just the right amount of hung up on Bev to be romantic.  Because I was so staunchly in Colby's corner, though, I probably disliked Bev more than I should have.  Her aloof and secretive nature, especially at the beginning of the novel, soured me a bit.  However, the more I got into the story, the more I started to appreciate Bev; there is a deeper reason why she wounded my guy so badly.  However, by far my two favorite characters were Meg and Alexa, the other members of The Disenchantments, who, along with Bev, hope to be a new riot grrrl band a la Bikini Kill (though Bev's favorite band is Sleater-Kinney.  Worth YouTubing by the way - they are excellent!).  Meg and Alexa are quirky, cute, and well-designed, especially for supporting characters.  


The plot of the novel is driven by the "great journey" theme as The Disenchantments travel up the coast of California, touring in small towns on the band's way to drop Meg off at Lewis and Clark University in Portland.  This trip throws the characters into new experiences, which in turn causes them to have moments of self-discovery, and brings them to new understandings of one another.  While it perhaps is not the most exciting plot in the sense of thrilling, breathtaking suspense, it has a different sort of charm.  Plus, LaCour's writing is some of the best writing I have read in a long time, which keeps me engaged.  Personally, my favorite part of the story was the sub-plot involving Colby's father, uncle, and mother.  The two guys were also in a band, which leads to some touching parallels between the two groups.


Though I would have read this book if it was bound in a brown paper bag, I absolutely ADORE the cover.  The whole "Instagram" photo quality the cover fits perfectly with the art-student, bohemian flavor of the characters.  Content-wise, there isn't a whole lot with which to be concerned.  There is some language, and a few moments involving sex.  Nothing is described explicitly, but it is not exactly left up to the imagination either.  Between this and the more nuanced plot, I would recommend this book for older or more mature readers.


I can only hope that LaCour comes out with a third novel soon.  Without a doubt, she has become one of my favorite rising YA authors, and I can't wait to share this novel with my students.  What a great sophomore read!

3 comments:

  1. I've never read anything by LaCour before but you're making me want to! I agree - that cover is to-die!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LaCour is another contemporary author, but perhaps you will find one you like yet! :)

      Delete
  2. awesome review :) Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-disenchantments-by-nina-lacour.html

    Thanks and have a nice day! :D

    ReplyDelete