Monday, March 26, 2012

Review: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Image and summary from Goodreads.com:


One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.
Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan’s collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humor that have won both them both legions of faithful fans.

I was talking with one of my students on Friday in the library, and he told me, "Everyone I know is on a John Green kick, including you."  I didn't really think about it until then, but he is completely right.  I am on a bit of a John Green kick, and am enjoying it immensely.  Will Grayson, Will Grayson did not disappoint!
Obviously, as with any Green novel, the characters' hilarious voices are what makes it so special.  Adding in the collaboration with Levithan just made the characters even more charming and unique.  Though the two Will Graysons are the central characters, my personal favorite was Tiny Cooper, the "original" Will Grayson's gay best friend.  His eternal optimism, even in the face of disappointment (not to mention his fabulous song lyrics) made me cheer for him more than any other character.  However, both Wills were also written with such complexity; I felt like they were real.
The plot of this novel is not filled with a whole lot of action, but more the internal conflicts of the two Wills.  However, the narration is so well done that their personal thoughts and feelings seemed very eventful, even though most of what they are experiencing are "typical" teenage doubts.  Relationships, loyalty, trust, and fear of relying on someone else - I found myself genuinely caring about how the characters felt, and that's what compelled me to keep reading.  However, the humor in the novel certainly didn't hurt!
Content-wise, I will be honest, this book could offend some.  Though I absolutely adored it, I'm not sure I could handle the potential issues having it in my classroom could spark.  Language and plenty of sex references ran throughout the book, but added to what I felt were authentic teen voices.  Furthermore, it does explore the issue of homosexuality, which could be problematic in a more conservative school setting (as mine is).  However, I don't think these things were gratuitous, and literature should represent all types, even if some disagree.  In a larger library setting, this book would be entirely appropriate.  Moreover, for the right student, I think this book could have a profound effect and powerful message:  you are appreciated.
For now, I will be leaving my slight John Green kick as I embark on a few TBR books, and then devouring the Virginia Reader's Choice list.  Though no John Green is on there, I am thrilled that another David Levithan book is - Dash & Lily's Book of Dares.  Can't wait to try my second Levithan novel!

4 comments:

  1. I bought this for a friend but haven't read it myself- glad that you like it! It's nice that it is diverse and has a good equality message too. Great review x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so ashamed to admit that despite being a faithful nerdfighter, I have yet to read any of John Green's books! It might be my aversion to contemporary. I have this one on my shelf though so I should hopefully make time to read it because I know I will like it even if it is contemp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am typically also not the biggest fan of contemporary, but his books have some serious voice behind them. Well worth the read!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for reading the VRC books! You are the best! From your friendly librarian friend! :)

    ReplyDelete