Saturday, March 17, 2012

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Image and summary from Goodreads.com:


Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.It can.She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.There is.She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.She's wrong.


This is a book that I have been eagerly watching the library shelves for, hoping it would appear.  When it did, all other reading was suspended.  As it turns out, pretty much all other activities were suspended, including sleeping.  I thought this book was that exciting.


To begin, I thought Mara was a fantastic narrator.  Hodkin does a brilliant job of keeping the readers entranced in the mystery of Mara's past, while also giving her a humorous voice.  To me, the humor helped temper the darkness of the plot, as did the high school drama.  The love interest, Noah, is equally exciting and interesting.  While he is rumored to have a dark past too, I couldn't help but smile over his sarcasm and kind-heartedness (though these two traits seem to be disparate, Hodkin made them work for Noah!).  My only complaint would be the way Mara treats Noah for a good portion of the novel.  She is surly and somewhat cold, which got a bit tiring after a while.  But then again, perhaps it was just because I was cheering so intensely for him.


The plot in this novel was much more driven by character development than anything else.  I personally prefer this kind of novel, especially when I know that it is going to be the first in a series.  The slow pace allowed me to try and look for clues to unravel the mystery myself, rather than just having it revealed to me quickly.  I'm not even sure I still fully understand what's happening to Mara, but that only serves to heighten my anticipation for the sequel.  However, this is not the book for the impatient.  Mara's secrets are not revealed until the end, and she spends much of the book in denial.


One strength of this book is the fantastic cover art, which is hard to ignore.  Though it seems shallow, I will openly admit the cover art was largely what drew me to the novel in the first place.  I am hopeful it does the same for potential readers!  Content-wise, there is a lot of discussion about sex, but nothing graphic, and nothing overtly "happens."  Typical of a high school setting, there's also a bit of swearing, but nothing over-the-top.  Certainly nothing that would keep me from passing the book along.


I am so thrilled I found a book I couldn't put down - it was perfect to enjoy along with the unseasonably warm weather.  I can't wait for the sequel, and to share this book with others!


Anyone else excited for the sequel??

1 comment: