Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday 10

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is the Top Ten "X" Genre Books.  We get to fill in the "X" with whatever we wish!  Typically, I read a lot of dystopian books, so I feel like most of my lists have been based around that.  As it is a night that my husband is on-call (gotta love being married to a medical resident), I have the time to be creative and post about another one of my favorite (but as of late neglected) genres:  historical fiction.

Top Ten Historical Fiction Books (Not all YA, so proceed carefully!)


1.  A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly:

Donnelly is definitely one of my favorite YA authors.  This book, about a murder at a ritzy upstate New York resort in 1906, is based around the same story that inspired the famous novel An American Tragedy.  Highly recommended for teens and adults alike!

2.  Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden:

I've re-read this book so many times, I've lost count.  Every time, it makes me cry, laugh, and throw the book in frustration.  That's the mark of a good book!  Set in 1930s Japan, it immerses the reader in a time period and country seamlessly.

3.  Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

This is one of those ridiculously talked-about and hyped books that completely merits all of the positive buzz.  The 1930s circus backdrop is a great historical trip!

4.  The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory:

Despite this book's prodigious length, I think I read it over the course of two days at the beach - it is that good.  The world of Tudor England is so full of drama, scandal, and intrigue it is completely engrossing.  Warning:  SO NOT for teen readers!  Verrrrrry mature.  But for adult readers, I heartily recommend any of Gregory's novels.

5.  Fever 1793  by Laurie Halse Anderson:

Anderson is one of the magic teen authors who can turn any topic into literary gold.  Fever 1793 is no different.  A coming-of-age tale set during the Yellow Fever outbreak in Philadelphia, I found this book both quick and relatable.

6.  The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald:

Perhaps it's a cheat to include a book that was not historical fiction at the time it was written, but seriously, who can argue with this classic.  Though I hesitate to put the "curse of Colleen" on it by admitting how much I love it (thus rendering it unpalatable to my juniors), this book is so beautifully written.  Plus, who doesn't love the excessive wealth of the roaring '20s?

7.  Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell:

This book appears on too many of my lists, but that's because it's just one of my favorites.  The Civil War was an absolutely devastating time for all involved, but at the same time, makes a great backdrop for one of the best love stories ever.

8.  Atonement by Ian McEwan:

Definitely love both the movie and the book.  WWII England comes to life in this absolutely gut-wrenching novel that I cannot recommend enough.

9.  Elephant Run by Roland Smith:

This novel has been one of my go-tos for reluctant readers, especially boys.  Set on an elephant plantation in Burma during WWII, students get to experience adventure and a side of history they rarely see.

10.  The Help by Kathryn Stockett:

Sadly, in an effort to meet people in my new hometown, I went on a social outing to see this movie before I read the book.  However, I will say that even as someone who broke the cardinal rule of readers (always book before movie!), this book is worth the read even if you have seen the movie.  The South comes to life in a completely real way.

No comments:

Post a Comment